From Brigham City History Project
From the time the first Mormon pioneers entered the Salt Lake Valley in 1847 until 1900, Utah's political climate was contentious. B.H. Roberts wrote:
The one thing which above all others seemed to hold in check the development of the territory of Utah into normal political conditions was the fear that the leading authorities of the church of the Latter-day Saints. . . would dominate the political action of its members, and thus control to its own liking and purpose the state, when statehood should come; and that the large measure of control exercised by the federal government, while Utah remained a territory, would be withdrawn.
Even as the political controversy continued throughout Utah, Brigham City was incorporated as a city in January, 1867, by the Utah Territorial Legislature. At the first municipal election Chester Loveland was chosen as mayor; Alvin Nichols, Hans P. Jensen, William Box, Justine C. Wixom, and Adolph Madsen as City Councilmen, and William Watkins as City Recorder.
The Box Elder County Courthouse, Brigham City's first public building, was completed in 1857. It had been used for county business and meetings and multiple additional purposes, including school, church meetings, dramatic productions, and recreation. Following the 1867 city election, the council held their meetings and conducted city businesses in a specific room there. They began recording minutes of meetings in 1867, and opened and closed the meetings with prayer until 1893. Council members designated one room in the county jail to house tramps, drunks, and prisoners.
The tax levied in the city in 1875 was one-half of one per cent and had not changed by 1894. Residents could rent a vacant lot from the city for twenty-five cents a year.
- B.H. Roberts, A Comprehensive History of the Church, Century One, Vol. 6. p. 302.
This category has only the following subcategory.
Pages in category "Government"
The following 41 pages are in this category, out of 41 total.